Skip to main content

A Review of Wanted by Nick Stephenson

This is the first thriller I’ve read by Nick Stephenson and it certainly won’t be the last. I’m a huge fan of thrillers and I found that this author truly delivered on action, suspense and a gripping tale of greed and betrayal.  

Let’s meet Leopold Blake, a billionaire and an expert criminology consultant for the FBI. He is hired by Jean Dubois, the Louvre’s senior art director to perform a full security sweep of the place. However, Leopold discovers the theft of a painting (The Virgin and Child with St. Anne) and sets out to find out who stole it.  Unbeknownst to Leopold and his bodyguard, Jerome, Jean Dubois and a few others are gunned down by a ruthless German assassin. The assassin plants Leopold’s fingerprint onto the abandoned rifle and leaves the scene, making Leopold a wanted man by the French police for questioning.  

The stakes ramp up when NYPD police sergeant, Mary Jordan gets caught up in the chaos, thinking she’d enjoy a vacation with Leopold in Paris. Instead, she becomes part of the escape plan with Leopold, Jerome and Sophie Bardot (who Leopold interviewed as a suspected art thief – she was innocent). On the hunt for Leopold is Capitaine Anton Rousseau who is determined to get to the bottom of the situation and vows to find and arrest Leopold.  

Overall, this was a fast-paced read with plenty of action. I felt like I was watching a movie with the characters quickly trying to escape from a hired assassin. The characters were well-developed, the dialogue was realistic, the action scenes were well-executed, and the settings were vividly depicted. The twist at the end was fantastic. I can’t wait to see what happens in the next installment.   

Two thumbs up! Great read! 

Rating: 4 stars 

Some of my favorite lines: 

He grinned, not feeling the cold quite so much anymore. “With everything that’s happened since you met me, all the close calls and near misses, do you think there will ever be an end to it all?”

“Like, do I think you’ll ever learn to settle down?” She punched him playfully on the arm. “That doesn’t sound like the Leopold Blake I know.”

He forced a smile. “No, I mean: do you ever think people will stop coming at me? Stop trying to destroy the people I care about?”

 “It’s been getting worse, hasn’t it?” She didn’t phrase it as a question.

“Yes.”




  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Jacqueline Seewald, Author of THE INHERITANCE

Author’s Bio: Multiple award-winning author, Jacqueline Seewald, has taught creative, expository and technical writing at Rutgers University as well as high school English. She also worked as both an academic librarian and an educational media specialist. Sixteen of her books of fiction have previously been published to critical praise including books for adults, teens and children. Her short stories, poems, essays, reviews and articles have appeared in hundreds of diverse publications and numerous anthologies. What inspired you to write your book? I enjoy writing romantic mystery fiction. The idea for this particular novel just seemed to evolve organically from my imagination. Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult? I would have to say reading the Bible was influential. As far as regular books go, I’m a big fan of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Is this your first book? How long did it take to start and...

National Poetry Month’s Feature: Poet Cherrie Amour

Poet’ s Bio: Cherrie Amour aka Cherrie Woods is a Baltimore-based, award-winning poet known for her candid, narrative verse exploring love, identity, relationships, and the layered complexities of belonging. Her work is featured in her poetry collection, Free to Be Me: Poems on Love, Life and Relationships.   She is the creator of the Words, Wine & Wings Poetry and Open Mic Show and has been featured by FOX45 News, The Baltimore Beacon , and Baltimore City Paper . Her poetry has appeared in Paterson Literary Review , Understorey Magazine , Poet’s Ink , The Pen Woman , The Fire Inside: Collected Poems and Stories from Zora’s Den , America’s Future Anthology , Yellow Arrow Journal , and Maryland in Poetry .   She is currently submitting her new poetry chapbook manuscript, Sit Comfortably Elsewhere , to publishers—a deeply personal collection exploring her life and perspective as a double immigrant.   Deliah Lawrence: When did you first realize poetry was a p...

National Poetry Month’s Feature: Poet Buddah Desmond

Poet’ s Bio: Buddah Desmond aka BDEZ (he / him / they / them) is an award-winning author, poet, artist, and singer based in the DMV. His writing shares lessons from adversity to triumph and offers messages of hope, love, faith, and persistence. He ’ s the author of multiple poetry collections, including the most recent releases  Everything I Miss(ed) At Home  (2023),  Coming Up From the Downside: Finding Joy in Our Song  (2024), and  Exotic Shifter: 11th Anniversary Edition  (2025).   His writing has appeared in  Creative Currents ,  Rebel ’ s Zeitgeist ,  Liquid Cat Quarterly ,  MelaNation ,  Mixed Mag , and  The Sound of the Collective Pen: A Poetry Anthology by Emerging Voices . He served as a healing leader in the DC-based arts + faith + social justice organization, The Sanctuaries. He ’ s currently a National Board of Trustees At Large Member (Beta Chapter) for the professional arts fraternity, Gamma Xi Phi. ...