Skip to main content

"Stop Living on Autopilot"

I recently read an article written by Cate Scolnik for The Muse, a great online resource for exploring free career advice and discovering your passion along the way. This article talked about how to stop living on autopilot and how to snap out of it.

Being on autopilot is a place where most people feel safe. A steady job. A steady pay check. A good idea of what to expect day in and day out. All the while bottling up their dreams. As for me, I have one foot in autopilot and the other in a place of change. This is a change that I can see forthcoming, but it I hope it won't take me a long time to make that leap.

So, how do you make that choice to live more consciously? Well, Cate Scolnik, who took the leap to a more conscious place shares the following 5 ways to live an amazing life:

1. Focus on connection, not perfection. We need to stop trying to be perfect and spend more time with our favorite people and things to do. Time is limited and having connections are what brings us joy and happiness.

2. Live by your values. To me this is so important. Too many people will sell their souls and trample on their values. But what they forget is that having values is what sets them a part from others and puts them in a flow.

3. Let fear be your motivator. We've all had moments of fear in our lives. But for me, once I face the fear head on, that's when I realize it was a great motivator for me to do great things.

4. Don't believe in signs. Some people believe in signs and I do too. But I'm also aware that if the signs tell me to shy away from my dreams that's when I stop believing in them.

5. Keep visiting the dream room. This is where we should all live until the dreams become our realities!

Let It Go


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Jacqueline Seewald, Author of THE INHERITANCE

Author’s Bio: Multiple award-winning author, Jacqueline Seewald, has taught creative, expository and technical writing at Rutgers University as well as high school English. She also worked as both an academic librarian and an educational media specialist. Sixteen of her books of fiction have previously been published to critical praise including books for adults, teens and children. Her short stories, poems, essays, reviews and articles have appeared in hundreds of diverse publications and numerous anthologies. What inspired you to write your book? I enjoy writing romantic mystery fiction. The idea for this particular novel just seemed to evolve organically from my imagination. Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult? I would have to say reading the Bible was influential. As far as regular books go, I’m a big fan of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Is this your first book? How long did it take to start and...

National Poetry Month’s Feature: Poet Cherrie Amour

Poet’ s Bio: Cherrie Amour aka Cherrie Woods is a Baltimore-based, award-winning poet known for her candid, narrative verse exploring love, identity, relationships, and the layered complexities of belonging. Her work is featured in her poetry collection, Free to Be Me: Poems on Love, Life and Relationships.   She is the creator of the Words, Wine & Wings Poetry and Open Mic Show and has been featured by FOX45 News, The Baltimore Beacon , and Baltimore City Paper . Her poetry has appeared in Paterson Literary Review , Understorey Magazine , Poet’s Ink , The Pen Woman , The Fire Inside: Collected Poems and Stories from Zora’s Den , America’s Future Anthology , Yellow Arrow Journal , and Maryland in Poetry .   She is currently submitting her new poetry chapbook manuscript, Sit Comfortably Elsewhere , to publishers—a deeply personal collection exploring her life and perspective as a double immigrant.   Deliah Lawrence: When did you first realize poetry was a p...

National Poetry Month’s Feature: Poet Buddah Desmond

Poet’ s Bio: Buddah Desmond aka BDEZ (he / him / they / them) is an award-winning author, poet, artist, and singer based in the DMV. His writing shares lessons from adversity to triumph and offers messages of hope, love, faith, and persistence. He ’ s the author of multiple poetry collections, including the most recent releases  Everything I Miss(ed) At Home  (2023),  Coming Up From the Downside: Finding Joy in Our Song  (2024), and  Exotic Shifter: 11th Anniversary Edition  (2025).   His writing has appeared in  Creative Currents ,  Rebel ’ s Zeitgeist ,  Liquid Cat Quarterly ,  MelaNation ,  Mixed Mag , and  The Sound of the Collective Pen: A Poetry Anthology by Emerging Voices . He served as a healing leader in the DC-based arts + faith + social justice organization, The Sanctuaries. He ’ s currently a National Board of Trustees At Large Member (Beta Chapter) for the professional arts fraternity, Gamma Xi Phi. ...