Skip to main content

New York, New York

I needed to get away and New York was the perfect place to go. I stayed in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, not too far from the subway and made trips to Brooklyn and downtown Manhattan to do some shopping. I also took time to visit some museums - Guggenheim and the Museum of Modern Art ("MOMA"). It was great to see so many people there, browsing around, looking at the art work and reading about the artists some of which I found rather interesting like Francesca Woodman (1958 - 1981) - an artist way before her time in terms of how she viewed sexuality and they way she photograped it. I also enjoyed the works of John Chamberlain - his car designs were very interesting.

While I enjoyed the sightseeing, I also took time to check out a karaoke bar and laughed so hard my belly hurt when I saw some of the performers. Some were really bad but I admired their courage to get on stage and give the performance of their lives while the audience cheered them on. At end of the karaoke contest, it became a dance fest - musice blaring from the speakers and the videos playing on the big screens. I really had a wonderful time.

What's New York without great places to eat? Well, I enjoyed breakfast at Tal Bagels and while the food was good, the service was not the best with the some servers giving customers major attitude. There was one instance where a lady bought a bagel, eggs on the side and coffee. Simple order right? Not at all. The eggs were served on the bagel, and had to be redone only to be burnt and then the customer had no bagel. It was a total mess to the point where the lady shouted out, "They don't like me here." And my thought was, well why do you keep coming back. I left hoping that they would get her order right.

I also dined at Uno Chicago Grill, Sotto Cinque, and Sarabeth's. Uno - typical American fare, however, the wait staff was awesome and I had some of the best Raspberry Ice Tea that I've had in a long time. Sotto Cinque, an Italian restaurant had the best shrimp scampi. I've always heard of Sarabeth's for brunch, and while it was pricey, the omellette's were great and the ambience was very nice - I'd definitely go back.

So, I had a great time in New York and then headed back to reality but it was worth taking a break to start afresh!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Jacqueline Seewald, Author of THE INHERITANCE

Author’s Bio: Multiple award-winning author, Jacqueline Seewald, has taught creative, expository and technical writing at Rutgers University as well as high school English. She also worked as both an academic librarian and an educational media specialist. Sixteen of her books of fiction have previously been published to critical praise including books for adults, teens and children. Her short stories, poems, essays, reviews and articles have appeared in hundreds of diverse publications and numerous anthologies. What inspired you to write your book? I enjoy writing romantic mystery fiction. The idea for this particular novel just seemed to evolve organically from my imagination. Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult? I would have to say reading the Bible was influential. As far as regular books go, I’m a big fan of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Is this your first book? How long did it take to start and...

National Poetry Month’s Feature: Poet Buddah Desmond

Poet’ s Bio: Buddah Desmond aka BDEZ (he / him / they / them) is an award-winning author, poet, artist, and singer based in the DMV. His writing shares lessons from adversity to triumph and offers messages of hope, love, faith, and persistence. He ’ s the author of multiple poetry collections, including the most recent releases  Everything I Miss(ed) At Home  (2023),  Coming Up From the Downside: Finding Joy in Our Song  (2024), and  Exotic Shifter: 11th Anniversary Edition  (2025).   His writing has appeared in  Creative Currents ,  Rebel ’ s Zeitgeist ,  Liquid Cat Quarterly ,  MelaNation ,  Mixed Mag , and  The Sound of the Collective Pen: A Poetry Anthology by Emerging Voices . He served as a healing leader in the DC-based arts + faith + social justice organization, The Sanctuaries. He ’ s currently a National Board of Trustees At Large Member (Beta Chapter) for the professional arts fraternity, Gamma Xi Phi. ...

National Poetry Month’s Feature: Poet Cherrie Amour

Poet’ s Bio: Cherrie Amour aka Cherrie Woods is a Baltimore-based, award-winning poet known for her candid, narrative verse exploring love, identity, relationships, and the layered complexities of belonging. Her work is featured in her poetry collection, Free to Be Me: Poems on Love, Life and Relationships.   She is the creator of the Words, Wine & Wings Poetry and Open Mic Show and has been featured by FOX45 News, The Baltimore Beacon , and Baltimore City Paper . Her poetry has appeared in Paterson Literary Review , Understorey Magazine , Poet’s Ink , The Pen Woman , The Fire Inside: Collected Poems and Stories from Zora’s Den , America’s Future Anthology , Yellow Arrow Journal , and Maryland in Poetry .   She is currently submitting her new poetry chapbook manuscript, Sit Comfortably Elsewhere , to publishers—a deeply personal collection exploring her life and perspective as a double immigrant.   Deliah Lawrence: When did you first realize poetry was a p...