It’s A Book Thing Presents: An Author Spotlight Interview with Murray Siegel, author of Cupid Wore Snow Boots
Author Bio: Murray Siegel was born and raised in Baltimore. He attended the
University of Maryland where, he ran the campus movie theater and chaperoned
guest speakers Robert Altman, Robert Wise, Alan Parker, Michael Palin and John
Waters. In 1985, his Twilight Zone-inspired TV pilot was produced.
In 2021, he published MurMurings: Funny Tales of Terror and Other Desperate Cries for Help, a collection of nine humorous stories about real-life dangerous encounters, (including car accidents, robberies, and lightning strikes), accompanied by 135 illustrated memes.
His
2024 book Cupid Wore Snow Boots is a romantic comedy set in Baltimore on
Valentine’s Day in 1979 and 2008. Amazon reviews praised the nostalgic novel
for its depiction of teenage angst, first-time love and clever twists.
A
long-suffering Baltimore Orioles fan, Siegel enjoys reading, music, and old
movies. He is retired from a career in marketing and lives in Montgomery
County, Maryland.
Deliah
Lawrence: What inspired you to become an author?
Murray
Siegel: When I was in pre-school, my
father read stories to me at bedtime. In return, I often made up my own stories
to tell him. I’ve always liked telling
stories with a beginning, middle and end. I was the kid in school (and the
adult, now!) always reading a book or watching a movie. In retrospect, I can’t
believe some of the books I read before entering middle school (e.g. The
Godfather and Deliverance).
After watching every James Bond movie and reading The Odessa File,
when my imagination was stretched, I took my first stab at writing a
time-travel adventure novel when I was fifteen (with a co-author). We even
secured an agent, although nothing ever panned out.
When
I picked up the manuscript many years later, the flaws were obvious. It was a great
concept, but the writing was sub-par. My
teachers always encouraged me, and I was determined to improve. I was an
English major at the University of Maryland with a focus on writing screenplays
and stories. The reading and writing assignments opened my eyes to many
possibilities. I spent countless hours in my dorm scrunched up with a legal pad
writing scripts and stories. That’s probably why my writing improved while my
back got worse!
DL:
What does your writing process look like from idea to final draft?
MS: My two books are as different as my process. Neither
are traditional.
Cupid
Wore Snow Boots started as a
screenplay in 2007. Much of it was based on things that happened to me, which
made it easier to quickly draft an outline. I like to get a first draft out
fast so I can see where the story is going. It’s the skeleton. My first drafts
are usually much shorter than the final book, so I typically go back and make
improvements that also enhance and expand the story. In 2023, I decided to
adapt my own script into a book. For the first draft, I literally wrote prose
directly into the screenplay so that, ultimately, it read like a book. I used most of the original dialogue and, of
course, added much more. With my framework in place, I wrote several more
drafts that improved upon what came before.
I was able to use narrative devices unavailable for a screenplay and
make it a far better piece of work. I
should mention that, from script to final draft, the ending changed countless
times, until I finally came up with a satisfying punchline.
MurMurings
was a completely different experience. Bored during covid, I banged out a short
story about when I got robbed in Georgetown. I gave it a funny twist and shared
it with some friends who said they really enjoyed it. I thought it would be fun to write a
collection of short stories called “Funny Tales of Terror”, all with the theme
of scary things that happened to me retold humorously. Admittedly, I was able to write eight more
stories, based on true experiences, fairly effortlessly. I knew the collection was too short to
publish and that I needed more content. I already had a loyal social media
following of people who told me I should do stand up comedy based on my daily
posts. Rather than doing that, I downloaded and reviewed thirteen years of
Facebook posts that I had written (it was a task!) until I found the best of
the best. I added clip-art illustrations and created a hybrid book with the
stories and memes.
That brings me to my current untitled rom-com novel. The main character in this one is a woman who graduates from Johns Hopkins University. We follow her from ages eighteen to forty. Like Cupid, it’s a funny story. Originally, it was going to be three interconnected novellas, so I outlined each story and decided which one to write first. Midway through the first draft, I decided to expand on the first story and abandon the other two. Again, I wrote my first draft quickly. Drafts two through four expanded on the plot and character and add a lot of flavor, but the fourth also pays closer attention to the prose. When away from the computer, I constantly email myself notes and ideas and then integrate them later. For this book and Cupid, I don’t let anyone read the manuscript until I am comfortable enough to share. After receiving feedback, I do another draft or two until it is ready to be reviewed by my editor. The new book is due out in 2027.
DL:
What elements do you believe make a story truly compelling?
MS: Several things. Some people don’t like
character-driven novels because they feel that the stories don’t have enough
conflict to hold their interest.
Stream-of-consciousness novels don’t bother me if the characters are
interesting and reveal something about the human condition. That said, there
does need to be compelling reasons for readers to turn the page. I want to be
taken somewhere away from my own experiences sometimes and see the world
through someone else’s eyes. That said, I also enjoy a tight adventure story
(see Dan Brown or George Pelacanos) if it is clever, has great twists, moves
fast and rings of truth.
DL:
Which author or book has influenced you the most, and why?
MS:
It’s hard to pick one. Frederick
Forsyth, Ian Fleming, Ray Bradbury, Stephen King and Leon Uris were early
influences on me because their great stories inspired me to write. In college,
Hemingway, Fitzgerald and Phillip Roth were my heroes because their works had
more depth, complexity, and tighter prose. They were literary giants. Roth, the
only living author among the three, particularly appealed to me because he
could be hilariously funny or dead serious. They each opened a vein to reveal
what pained and tortured them. For years, I was uncomfortable revealing too
much of myself in my writing, even though I was told to “write what you know”.
Oddly enough, after reading Laura Lippman’s Baltimore mystery novels, I
recognized that I could create stories with more verisimilitude and that also
revealed more about me than my previous works.
DL:
What is the most valuable piece of writing advice you’ve received?
MS: I had a screenwriting professor at the University of
Maryland who said, “whenever you write a story, or a scene, or a character,
keep asking yourself ‘who cares’? If you can’t answer that question, then you
have problems.” In other words, make sure your readers care about what you are
writing since they’ll jump ship if they lose interest.
DL:
If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
MS:
Easy. I would make sure that every
bookseller has my books on a table in the front of the store or front and
center on their home pages. If my
superpower was really strong, there would be an employee standing by the books
and making verbal recommendations to each customer. How many wishes do I get
here?
DL:
If you hosted a dinner party, which three authors (past or present) would you
invite—and why?
MS:
Phillip Roth – He was one of the
greatest writers of the twentieth century. We have several commonalities and he
was bold and unafraid to explore areas that other authors avoided. We would
have a deli platter.
Emile
Zola – I gravitated toward his novels about French society when I was in my
late twenties. His expansive Rougon-Macquart series is amazing in the breadth
of what he wrote about. I never realized how great 19th century
French literature was until I read him. Then, he had the whole Dreyfuss Affair
situation that elevated his stature to superstardom. We would have French
cuisine.
Sinclair
Lewis – He was a bold and controversial as Roth, but his amazing novels were
written before World War II. He was masterful at shining light on social issues
while telling sad, powerful stories. I feel the same way about John Steinbeck,
by the way, so if Lewis has to cancel, Steinbeck gets his casserole!
DL:
What are three fun or unexpected facts about yourself?
MS:
At eighteen, I was fortunate enough
to spend two full days roaming around the Twentieth Century Fox studio
completely unchaperoned. I had a
memorable conversation with Mel Brooks, walked right by Natalie Wood and Jane
Fonda, and spent many hours on the MASH set talking to most of the cast. I
nearly passed out from the excitement.
In
one of my early post-college jobs, I handled inhouse advertising for a Ford
dealer. I wrote and oversaw production of all of their commercials. The owner
wanted me to appear in the ads. I had no
training in that area, but he coerced me into it anyway. I “starred” in about
10-15 ads and was terrible. But, the ads were funny and sold cars.
I’m
really good at time estimating. For example, I can usually figure out how long
something has taken or will take. My accuracy used to drive people crazy. I’ve
been called a Time Savant.
Deliah
Lawrence: Would you like to share an excerpt from Cupid Wore Snow Boots?
MS: Sure, this excerpt is from a series of mysterious
interviews, discovered on a scroll, that Cupid does with an unknown person:
Me:
Cupid, what are your pet peeves about love and life?
Cupid: Excellent question. In the area of love, I hate
when I see a man take a woman’s hand to kiss it, but he kisses his own hand
instead. That is just sloppy, and he should be labeled a boob and precluded
from kissing a woman for at least four months…My pet peeve in life? It’s when
people say something is the greatest invention since sliced bread. Let’s be
honest here. Sliced bread was an okay invention, but I think we would have
eventually figured out other ways to eat it. Pulling off pieces comes to mind.
Me: Anything else?
Cupid: Yes. I don’t like when I’m hitchhiking, and people pass by and throw things at me. Oh…and I don’t like when a bead of sweat rolls down from under my arm until it lands on my waist. It always feels like an insect.
Me: Anything else?
Cupid: No. That’s pretty much it.
*
Me: Is it true what they say, that your mother completely controlled you?
Cupid: Absolutely not. Sure, she picked out my togas at the acropolis, but that stopped when I was twenty-two and put my foot down.
Me: What about your father?
Cupid: I never knew my father. He went out for a pack of cigarettes one day and we never saw him again.
Me: They didn’t have cigarettes back then.
Cupid: That explains a lot.
DL: Where can readers connect with you and purchase your books?
- Website: murraysiegel.com. Both of my books are available here.
- Amazon Author Page: https://tinyurl.com/bdeuer6a Only Cupid Wore Snow Boots is available here.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/murmuringsbymurray
- Instagram: https://tinyurl.com/yyapast8
DL: Thank you for
joining me for this feature! I’m excited for readers to learn more about you
and your work.
MS: Thank you for the opportunity!


Comments
Post a Comment