The past couple of weeks has been nothing short of a horrific nightmare one which a lot of Haitians wish they could wake up from. But sadly, that's not the case. The earthquake that ripped apart Port-au-Prince, the capital of Haiti on January 12, 2010 damaged many historical buildings but nothing was more devastating than the many lives that were lost (150,000+ buried in mass graves?). Many countries have reached out in a humanitarian effort to pledge funds, provide food, medical assistance, rescue teams, engineers and other support.
As I watch the news coverage of the situation, I'm appalled at the violence that has erupted simply to get supplies but in some ways I can understand the angst they must be feeling - I couldn't begin to understand it. We should all try to reach out by pledging what we can to assist in this effort and be careful of giving to organizations who are trying to make a profit off this demise. One reputable organization although it has come under scrutiny is headed by Wyclef Jean, a Haitian-American singer. He has been asking everyone to text "Yele" to 501501 to donate $5 to his foundation to aid the victims and he's also teamed up with George Clooney to raise more funds.
It will take a long while for stability to come to that part of Haiti and I pray that it'll be soon.
Here are some other ways to help Haiti:
* Clinton Bush Haiti Fund
* Donate To The American Red Cross
* Hope For Haiti Now
* Partners In Health
* Action Against Hunger
* Wyclef Jean's Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund
* American Jewish World Service
* Catholic Relief Services
* Beyond Borders
* International Medical Corps
* Oxfam International
* Samaritan's Purse International Relief
* Ben Stiller's 'Stillerstrong' Foundation
* AmeriCares Disaster Relief & Humanitarian Aid
* MercyCorps Emergency Response
* Salvation Army Relief Fund
* World Vision
* Doctors Without Borders
* UNICEF In Haiti Children's Fund
- dee / lawrence
- Lawyer | Romantic Suspense Author | Speaker | TV Junkie | Foodie | Sweet Wine Addict | Savvy Shopper You can visit my website at www.authordeelawrence.com to learn more about my romantic suspense novel, Gotta Let It Go, which is set in Baltimore. You can also connect with me online @ thewritepen (Twitter and Facebook). Thanks for visiting with me today!